Okay…this is not my fault. My “friend” Rex blog-tagged me…so being the much more compliant and submissive friend than he is (smile)…here goes…
“Here are the rules. 1)Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves. (2) People who are tagged need to write a post on their own blog (about their eight things) and post these rules. (3) At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. (4) Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.”
1. I have never been licensed to do anything in my life…uh, that is, except to drive, get married and fish. I drive a lot…got married once…and fish terribly and rarely. I did somehow (grace of the Lord) graduate from Sunset School of Preaching in the stone age and have preached for three congregations (Dayton, Troy and Somerset…all in Ohio) ever since.
2. As a kid growing up in Bellbrook, OH, I loved basketball above all things. Tell me God doesn’t have a sense of humor (I was only five feet, five inches tall…and that was long before Spud Webb gave hope to people of my stature. Of course I am white…and the movie is right on in my case…White Men Can’t Jump! I rode the basketball bench for four years (7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grade) until I woke up and decided I would better spend my time working part time and, at least, make enough money to keep gas in my car (I drive a lot).
3. I had not thrown up for a long, long time…until I read Rex’s(http://www.rexboyles.com/blog/) number four on his last post. I am mad at you for that, pal.
4. As I neared the completion of high school…I, like many other young guys my age, fully expected to be drafted into military service and be sent to Vietnam. I really thought that would happen to me…and I didn’t expect that I would make it through that experience (again, like many other guys my age). Every day since then has been unexpected, undeserved kindness from God.
5. I conned a beautiful young Christian lady (Vicki) into marrying me thirty-four years ago. I married above myself. We have the three greatest kids in the world…each of whom married the three greatest “in-law” kids in the world. Our quiver is full…praise the Lord.
6. I am poppa Oakes to Skylar McCarley (Sky-baby) who is now nearly three years old and to Remi Oakes (Blue Eyes) who is six months old. The first one lives in KY about five and a half hours away from me. The second one lives in OK about fourteen hours away from me. They often cry because they miss me so much. They are talented, smart, beautiful gifts from heaven to us.
7. I think you can see that I have already embarrassed myself sufficiently…but just in case…I’ll add this. A couple of years ago, my wife insisted I go get checked for osteoporosis. I told her, “I am not a woman. Only women get that according to the television commercials.” But she has ways of convincing me. I went for the test. It was negative, as I suspected. However, I had (for no known medical reason) actually shrunk one inch in height (ouch). For a (formerly) five foot, five inch tall guy that loss was hard to take. Pray for me that I not lose any more inches of height. I could certainly stand to lost some other inches though.
8. And finally, reason number eight, uh…I mean point number eight…I am living proof that a regular guy…with no real gifts or distinguishing points can still have the greatest family and friends in Christ imaginable. Thank you, Lord. I could ask no more than what you did for me on the Cross and yet…look at all you have given me additionally. Praises to you!
Alright then…I tag the following…John, Doug,Jr., Mike, Ed, Paige, Dean, Jim, and Matt.